I bet it’s happened to you too. You run into a friend at the grocery store and you cannot remember their name. You log onto a familiar website and you can’t remember your website.
Depending on your age, you may worry that these memory glitches might signal the arrival of Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia. However, memory issues are common, and more likely the result of stress, fatigue, or even poor diet. Understanding how your memory works can help you understand why it sometimes misfires. How well you’re able to remember something may depend on how much effort you put in to trying to store the information, how stressed or distracted you are when you try to recall it, and your overall brain function.
Fortunately, you can help maintain your memory and, possibly, stave off or delay dementia by embracing a healthy lifestyle. Here a few ways to maintain great mental health:
1) Stay Active. Regular exercise helps increase blood flow to the brain and reduce stress, which can affect memory negatively.
2) Good Nutrition. A nutritious diet is key to optimal memory function. Research suggests that eating a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables is associated with better memory and a lower risk of Alzheimer’s.
3) Drink Plenty of Water. Staying hydrated helps boost brain health by allowing your brain and nerve cells to function at their optimal levels.
4) Boy and Brain Rest. For optimum brain function, make sure you’re getting enough hours of sleep each night. When you’re overly tired, it becomes harder to remember and think clearly.
5) Challenge Your Brain. Treat your brain like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the stronger it will be! Brain supporting activities like reading, completing puzzles, engaging in art, playing a musical instrument, memorizing Bible verses, are a great way to continue to challenge your brain for retaining cognitive function.
The bottom line? You have the ability to help maintain your memory, regardless of your age. Strive for the healthiest lifestyle and you’ll notice a difference.
May you enjoy abundant health,